[OLPC-SF] Logistics update on training and more thanks

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Fri Apr 9 03:45:15 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

The pilot would NOT be possible without the help of so many people. I want
to start this email by saying "Thank you" to Meg Simpson and the NCC
alumni group as well as Mayor Sanchez and his team. It is in their dream to
make 21st learning available to children in the Philippines, starting with
Lubang,
that makes the first OLPC pilot in the Philippines possible. Equal thanks
for hard work from my fellow eKindlers and friends from OLPCFriends
Australia and
Solutions Grove and support from OLPC-SF.

More generosity and miracles: I just received word that we're getting 7 more
laptops from OLPC's CP that I can take home with me for the training.
Thanks Ryan Letada for applying for us and thanks OLPC!  So I'll bring 13
XOs (this includes Jay's donation today) to take to the Philippines.
Folks from the Philippines will lend 5 for a total of 18 altogether. Also
got a few USB sticks donated by a friend at Intel. Wow miracles do happen!

We have parents and kids from Lubang participating in this training. It is
community driven so we want to get them involved from
the beginning. So all told, we have 25 participants. A full house! No doubt
you've seen Ryan's call for an eager and dedicated volunteer. Wish we can
extend this to more. We'll have more of these in the future and we'll open
it up to many. But like I said, we'll document this and have it
available on the web.

Now I have a problem...and it's a good problem to have....I am now over the
weight limit (and no, I don't mean MY body weight) for luggage. But like I
said, it's
a good problem to have. :-)

Regards,
Cherry