[OLPC-SF] [Fwd: Re: Starr King XS]

akleider at sonic.net akleider at sonic.net
Sun Oct 18 23:50:01 EDT 2009

My apologies to list members; Sameer is right; any info being distributed
should be distributed to all. My diffidence got in the way:-)

Subject: Re: Starr King XS
From:    "Sameer Verma" <sverma at sfsu.edu>
Date:    Sun, October 18, 2009 12:30 pm
To:      akleider at sonic.net
Cc:      "jim" <jim at well.com>
         "Ted Kuster" <ted at jue-kuster.com>

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM,  <akleider at sonic.net> wrote:

> Working box we have. (It used to be called 'fog2' before it became
> 'schoolserver.setra.loc')

make this schoolserver.starrking.org (see below)

> Diagnosis of your existing box (can we assign it a name, please?) is, I
> agree, a separate issue. Jim, would you be interested in bringing it to
> the cafe on Monday evening? Can you ssh onto it? I can give you a couple
> of lines of notes I have which may help you achieve "ssh'ability" if you
> haven't done it already.
>
> Yesturday I did
> # yum update         #which brought me up from release 9-0.5.1 to 5.2
> and
> # yum --enablerepo=olpcxs-testing update     # --> 9-0.6
> I suggest you do the same if you haven't already.
>
> May I suggest calling your box 'skXS'?
>
> I believe (those of you more experienced with *n?x than I please correct
> me) the best way to change a machine's name is to change the (first line?)
> entry in /etc/hosts.
> On the OS, the commands
> # /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/network_config
> and
> # /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config <fully qualified domain name>
> seem to be relevant but I haven't looked into what exactly they do but if
> anyone reading this does or knows, I'll be listening.
>
> alex

You need to run "/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config
starrking.org" to get all the magical goodness to happen, including a
change of the host and domain. DO NOT change the host to anything.
This MUST be schoolserver or many things will break.
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2009-October/004206.html

Another reason why some of this discussion should be onlist.

Sameer