[OLPC-SF] [Fwd: Re: request for help: update OS, convert video, copy activities]

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Oct 13 11:26:22 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM,  <akleider at sonic.net> wrote:

> sorry, I should have posted to the list instead of only to Jim
>
> I hope I got the facts right

> Subject: Re: [OLPC-SF] request for help: update OS, convert video,  copy
> activities
> From:    akleider at sonic.net
> Date:    Sun, October 11, 2009 1:01 pm
> To:      "jim" <jim at well.com>
>

>> carol ruth silver has a few XO computers that need
>> * update the OS. if someone can provide me a USB
>> stick and instructions, i can do the work.
>
> go to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.0

Release 8.2.1 is the latest stable.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.1

> and download the two files:
> fs.zip
> gg-767-4.img

This should be gg-802.1.img

> onto a usb stick
> Stick that stick into a usb slot of an XO (be sure it is plugged in, not
> running just on battery) and start the XO while holding down all 4 game
> keys (to bottom right of screen) until you are told to let go. Then go
> have coffee.
> When all is done, connect the XO to the internet and update: I think
> that's done via the control panel (don't have an XO with me to check.)
> Everything previously on that XO will of course be vapourized!
>

> You will probably find those two files on your laptop somewhere from when
> we did this on your XOs at one of the lug meetings, remember?
>

>> * convert a video from existing format (it's in
>> .m4v and .mp4 and .flv) to ogg theora format.
>
> I think grantbow at gmail.com recently did some conversions to ogg so ask him
> how.

Here's an article on how to convert video using the Windows platform.
http://www.camerahacker.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Creating%20OGG%20Video%20for%20the%20OLPC%20XO%20Laptop

In Linux, one can use ffmpeg2theora from the command line directly.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Theora

>>    we also have the problem of copying a couple
>> of custom activities from one XO (where they're
>> working) to a couple or three other XOs.
> sv3rma at gmail.com is where I would go to answer this one.
> Also: Saturday next will be the next OLPC meeting
>
> If/when you get answers to the last two issues, please share.

I found http://olpc.af/index.php/downloads.html which seems to have
the activities Jim/Carol are looking for.

Sameer