[OLPC-SF] XO to donate

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:58:30 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM, ronreno <bigfoot18 at me.com> wrote:
> I received my XO under terms of 2007 by one get one.  I am not using
> my unit and would like to donate it to further advance the goals of
> olpc.  Please advise on where to send/deliver my unit.

I expect that a lot of people will be interested in your donation.
There are great needs for XOs among developers of hardware, software,
and teaching materials, since the OLPC developer program has been
canceled, and Google is no longer lending out units.

For example, Earth Treasury is planning physics textbooks that will
make use of the Measure activity, which we cannot currently model by
running Sugar on other hardware.
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks) As a simple example,
one of our favorite demos is to play a musical instrument into the
microphone, and display the waveform and frequency analysis of the
sound. This could be expanded to a whole module on acoustics. With the
range of inexpensive instruments that can be bought or made by
students, we can cover most of physics and electronics short of giant
telescopes, particle accelerators, atomic clocks, and spacecraft. Even
there, we can demonstrate the principles by which they work, showing
students the simple historical prototypes for them, such as a Galilean
or Newtonian telescope, a van de Graaf accelerator, a crystal
oscillator clock, or a model rocket.

Similarly, we have ideas for teaching science, math, music, and other
subjects using Turtle Art with Sensors, the video camera, and
instruments with USB interfaces.

The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose is working on a project
based around a roomful of XOs, assuming that funding becomes
available. They could make good use of your XO in planning, and in
demonstrating their concepts to people who can help them make this a
reality. They are also interested in our physics teaching materials,
and in applications of technology to art, music, and other less
obvious but equally valuable subjects.

> I live in
> Northern California and commute to SF Bay Area on occasion.

I'm in Cupertino, and get up to SF on occasion. You can call me at 408 219 4178.

> Thanks in advance, .... Ron

And Children are my nation.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai (Ed Cherlin)