[OLPC-SF] Ubuntu up and died?

steve camuti mrcamuti at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:17:00 EDT 2009

Hi All,
     I am one of those lucky souls who would love to make the monthly
OLPC meeting... but I work retail, which usually means I work
Saturdays. So I can't make the meetings. Sameer suggested I try to
pose a query to the list though. I am running the Ubuntu distro
released by Teapot (
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cde89a32f679f9110b42a139f6cb0a14&topic=4053.0
). It was running rock solid for weeks. Recently I tried installing a
number of image viewing programs in an attempt to get a decent
standalone gif player working, and now it boots to the "Hello
(children of the) World!" screen and freezes. The light under the
webcam stays illuminated and the entire machine hangs. Normally I
would just do a file system repair or similar maintenance, but I have
no idea how to make this happen without an OS loaded. Any ideas? Any
great places from which to garner more information? I've heard of
dmesg but I don't know how to access it without an OS.

-Steve C
'mooch'