[OLPC-SF] Microsoft Is Joining Low-Cost Laptop Project - New York Times

jim jim at well.com
Sun May 18 03:41:41 EDT 2008

(nobody stopped me...)

   having a charming and inspiring leader is
highly useful, but everyone has limitations,
such as movie stars who've become presidents
or governors. i worry that people with the
ability to move others through words may in
positions of leadership take an overly simple
approach to stressful situations.
   the phrase "we should become more like
microsoft" has as its essential semantic the
right idea of the need for more disciplined
coordination, especially in operations, but
the phrasing has a straight-jacketing effect.
   a less colorful, less inspiring, phrasing
such as "we need to improve operations"
might have a better overall effect.

(who's that knocking at my door?)