[OLPC-SF] Microsoft Is Joining Low-Cost Laptop Project - New York Times

jim jim at well.com
Sun May 18 03:00:59 EDT 2008

   It's "massage", not "message" (per marshall
mcluhan, penguin books, 1967).
   Reading a paper book is certainly a different
experience from reading via the internet; the
differences may be subliminal but are real.

   My point is that there's an educational
aspect that underlies the delivery platform.
The message of open source is clear and
important: collaborate, expand opportunities.
With an open source platform, it's easy to
expand and innovate. There's a similar, open-
source-y underpinning to the creative commons
approach to content, too. Open is good, silo
is bad. We should teach morality.
   Pippy encourages not only analytical thought
but creativity, too. I cannot guess what kids
might dream up and implement in Python using
Sugar as a framework. Extending the games and
other activity code would be a likely first
step, and interesting to witness.
   Here's a creative app^H^H^Hactivity:
http://superhappydevhouse.org/XO+Flashlight

   The "message" of Windows seems inescapably
"business as usual" per sanctioned authority,
and stay within your assigned box or pay extra
money for a longer leash.
   Practically, what does it cost to buy Visual
Studio?
   And who in the windows world extended
Solitaire or the Windows desktop?

   I, too, would like to know what people
think as to the educational role of open
source in this case (XO with a future prospect
of a windows variant). If Windows ships on
this innovative green laptop, how does that
contribute to improving education? I claim
that it holds things back, and enough so that
it shouldn't happen.