[OLPC-SF] Microsoft Is Joining Low-Cost Laptop Project - New York Times

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Sun May 18 01:46:40 EDT 2008

On 5/17/08, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

>  PS: Jim, I hope the usage of "massage" in your post was a typo.
>  Otherwise I am way off track and off topic ;-)

Not exactly. Marshall McLuhan's book was called "The Medium is the
Massage," although the title was a mistake, apparently. When the book
came back from the typesetter's, it had on the cover "Massage" as it
still does. The title was supposed to have read "The Medium is the
Message" but the typesetter had made an error. When Marshall McLuhan
saw the typo he exclaimed, "Leave it alone! It's great, and right on
target!" Now there are possible four readings for the last word of the
title, all of them accurate: "Message" and "Mess Age," "Massage" and
"Mass Age."

I got the reference, Jim. Thanks.

Larry Cafiero