[OLPC-SF] Over clocking your XO temporarily via software. Mine is now 500mhz!

Scott Boyd olpc at futures.com
Sat Mar 29 04:01:47 EDT 2008

Sameer Verma wrote:
> Does it get warmer than before when in use?
>
> Sameer

So far no, but I'm only running it about 20% faster than normal.
Admittedly I'm not precisely measuring temperature, but no plastic has
melted.  ;-)

BTW, there is now a permanent way to overclock your XO *IF* you have a
Developers Key:

Modify the /boot/olpc.fth file as follows:

\ Overclock to 500Mhz CPU, 200Mhz RAM
7de009e
5dd
4c000014
wrmsr
\ To test pretty boot, press left directional arrow when you power on.
\ Boot script
" ro root=mtd0 rootfstype=jffs2 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
fbcon=font:SUN12x22" to boot-file
game-key-mask h# 80 and if
    \ Boot from "backup" os if circle button is pressed
    " nand:\boot-alt\vmlinuz" to boot-device
    " nand:\boot-alt\olpcrd.img" to ramdisk
else
    " nand:\boot\vmlinuz" to boot-device
    " nand:\boot\olpcrd.img" to ramdisk
then
boot

WARNING: Overclocking could damage your OLPC XO. You do this at your own
risk!

This info is from the same thread as I posted earlier:

http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=2389.15

You gotta love a truly software hackable device!

S.