[OLPC-SF] Fwd: OLPC XO PC

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jul 7 12:24:15 EDT 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> Is there some way to connect remote mesh networks via some VPN or
> other tunneling link?!?!  :-)

Hi Kristian,

If 2 XOs are connected to a Jabber/XMPP server, then they can
collaborate from anywhere. So, if I point my XO to a Jabber/XMPP server
in Peru, I will be able to collaborate with the XOs on that server.

In the plain VPN sense, I suppose you could set up a tunnel between two
school servers, and that may trigger collaboration, provided all XOs
point to *one* Jabber/XMPP server. Jabber supports S2S
(server-to-server) federation
(http://www.jabber.org/technology-detail#distributednetwork), but OLPC's
Jabber setup does not. I don't think two Jabber servers can pass along
collaboration in the current setup. Of course, this may have changed
recently, but I haven't seen it.

More about Jabber and community servers at: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jabber

cheers,
Sameer