[Olpc-sf] Wacky Thought - XO Beowulf Cluster

Jay & Sharon McCauley mccauley3 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 26 02:05:39 EST 2008

Waaaaaay too much whining here for me...

SO, lemme start throwing positive energy into the mix...

What can "a million monkeys" do to create a positive buzz for OLPC?

A toss away:  on Thursday, I was doing some volunteer work at the Computer History Museum on documenting of stuff formerly stored at Moffett. There were a couple of generic beige PCs with
a tag "Beowulf Cluster?" (they'd been gutted, just cases w/ nothing inside)

HMMM, what would it take to put together "N" XO's into a cluster? What could it do?
I've always admired the "zero cost supercomputer" that the folks at ORNL built outa surplused PCs.
How 'bout a tiny supercomputer-cluster working on the mesh?  Maybe a tiny protein folding problem?
WAAAY more interesting than reveling at CHAT while facing each other... (Though I still LOVE
the acoustic measurer...)

Note: this probably could work off of QEMU or sugar-jbuild on a laptop, no whining needed.

WHAT ELSE can the tens of monkeys do?

jay