[OLPC-SF] Xmms(winamp clone) on the XO

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Feb 22 01:51:48 EST 2008

Joachim Pedersen wrote:
> For those of you longing for a good music listening interface for your
> XO. Try out XMMS, a winamp clone, that can be downloaded and installed
> through yum.
> As root:
> 'yum install xmms'
> Install is about 15MB, including all the dependencies .
>
> Fonts are a bit small, but you can double the main window size by
> pressing  'ctrl+d'
>  Unfortunately, non-free codecs are disabled, so mp3, and the like
> won't play with out installing additional codecs.
>
> If you have a a developer build running with Ohmd enabled, make sure
> you '/etc/init.d/ohmd stop'  as root... Ohm doesn't recognize playback
> is happening, and will suspend the XO after a minute or so of user
> inactivity, stopping playback and the process. When you are done
> '/etc/init.d/ohmd start' to start Ohm back up again
>
> Though the built in speakers aren't much to write home about, I was
> quite impressed with the sound quality from headphone jack, which is
> better than some production laptops I've owned in the past. The little
> AMD Geode doesn't trip up decoding either, even while doing other
> things in the background, Browse, etc... Music tested was encoded as
> ogg/vorbis quality 9. For those unaware, this is high quality variable
> bit rate ~320kbit/s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis
>
> XMMS likes to stay on top of the other windows all the time, double
> clicking on the top 5mm of the XMMS window rolls it up into a  little
> strip that is easy to move out of the way, toggle 'ctrl-d' to shrink
> it even further...
>
> Happy listening...

Hey Joachim,

This is great for listening to streaming stations. Do you know of a
simple(r) way of setting up a streaming server that will stream out
oggs? That way we can stream from one XO, and listen on another.
Additionally, we can try to see if the hops across a third one will
actually carry the music seamlessly. The last time I did something like
this was with icecast and that wasn't easy.

cheers,
Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.