[OLPC-SF] Fwd: Demo opportunity [Re: Program for the Future Conference - Dec. 8-9]

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 23:34:34 EST 2008

We have been invited to give a demo of XOs and Sugar at the Program
for the Future conference at the Tech Museum in San Jose on Monday
evening. Let me know ASAP if you can come with your XOs, and if they
are running the latest sofware, (You get dinner if you do.) or if we
can borrow your XOs for the occasion. We need to have this organized
by tomorrow evening. I would like to attend the conference, and I will
gladly pay the entry fee for all of us in order to do that.

We can show the mesh routing for sure, and collaboration in Write,
Draw, TamTamJam (music), and some other Activities. Acoustic Tape
Measure, probably, depending on the noise level and echoes in the
room. I'll have to check which games have collaboration enabled. I
expect that we can show Chess, PlayGo, and some others. I will
certainly bring some musical instruments, and demonstrate the Measure
digital oscilloscope in time and frequency domain.

Depending on the wireless environment and which version of the
software is installed, collaboration among XOs can be limited to a few
at a time. We discussed a likely solution to the issues at Sugar Camp
in Cambridge two weeks ago, and I can give an update on things that
have happened, are happening, and will happen soon.

Doug Engelbart will be there, and there will be a 40th anniversary
celebration of his Mother of All Demos (mouse, windows, menus...) at
Stanford afterwards.

Alan Kay will be there. He has said that the XO is the closest anybody
has ever gotten to the Dynabook, which also celebrated its conceptual
40th birthday recently at the Computer History Museum.

A lot of other high-powered people will be there. Will you?

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Rob Stephenson <rstephenson at thetech.org> wrote:
> Hi, Ed, would you be interested in rounding up some other OLPC laptop owners
> and arranging an XO demo for Monday night?

Certainly.

> The cost is $75 (for the demo
> team, not per individual), and for that price everyone gets dinner and one
> of you gets to attend the rest of the Program for the Future conference.

Very good.

>  I'd love to see a demo of the XO's mesh routing and group games!

We will be delighted to oblige.

> [...]
> Monday evening?  Would you like a chance to show your stuff to Alan Kay,
> Andy van Dam, Doug Engelbart and others?  Would you like to attend
> the Program for the Future Conference for $75 (instead of $275).  Send
> an email describing your tool, mashup, etc.  to rstephenson at thetech.org
> - Rob
>
> On Nov 30, 2008, at 8:25 PM, Robert Stephenson wrote:
>
> This conference may be of interest to some BayPIGgies.  We are also looking
> for volunteers and demos of collective intelligence tools.
> On Dec. 8-9, The Tech Museum in partnership with the MIT Museum will sponsor
> a major conference and design challenge entitled Program for the Future. Its
> goal is as ambitious as its title. The Program for the Future is about tools
> that improve our collective intelligence, and is inspired by the vision of
> Doug Engelbart -- the man who invented the computer mouse, graphical user
> interface and pioneered the concept of networked computers -- to harness
> technology to augment human intellect and improve our ability to work
> together.
> On December 8 and 9 we'll hear from some of today's most provocative
> speakers, then brainstorm ways to enhance our capability for problem
> solving, decision making, knowledge organization, and planning in every
> field of human endeavor.
> Featured Speakers
>     * Professor Thomas Malone, Founding Director, MIT Center for Collective
> Intelligence
>     * Professor Hiroshi Ishii, Associate Director, MIT Media Laboratory
>     * Peter Norvig, Director of Research, Google
>     * Andries van Dam, Professor, Brown University
>     * Alan Kay, President, Viewpoints Research Institute
>     * Steve Wozniak, co-founder, Apple Computer, Inc.
>     * Dr. Peter Friess, President, the Tech Museum of Innovation
> For more information, see the conference program or this blog post.   There
> is an early-bird price through this Monday, Dec. 1 only and members of SD
> Forum, Berkeley alums and some other groups get a special rate.  There will
> also be free registration for virtual participants, and a special rate for
> those who wish to volunteer to help with the 2-day event (the volunteer
> signup will be announced on Dec. 2).  To register, go
> to programforthefuture.org/registration.  Information about the
> design challenge that  will launch at the conference is attached.  I hope to
> see some BayPIGgies at the Program for the Future!
> - Rob Stephenson
> please send replies to rstephenson at thetech.org
>

> --------------------------
> Robert Stephenson
> Curator, The Tech Virtual
> The Tech Museum of Innovation
> San Jose, CA, USA
> http://thetechvirtual.org
> http://programforthefuture.org
> 1 408 795-6162
> rstephenson at thetech.org
> AIM: rstephelearn, Yahoo!: rstephemi, MSN: rstephemi, Skype: rstephe

And Children are my nation.