[OLPC-SF] Will An XO -1 Take Sugar 8.2.0?

Hoover Chan chan at sacredsf.org
Fri Dec 5 18:04:29 EST 2008

I realize this is probably a different thread and may be bordering on heresy, but coming from Windows, MacOS and other Linux distros (Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Xandros (EeePC)), I'm finding a level of awkwardness to using the XO. Granted I've only been able to tinker with it for a few hours but I'm thinking in terms of how it would be adopted by a world that's been "tainted" by the likes of Windows and MacOS. Seems to be a different interface and a different way to navigate around the system. Certainly a different interface than programs like Open Office and Firefox as a couple of representative tools.

A pointer to another discussion or papers on this topic? I really want to see XO succeed. After about 2-3 hours, I'm just getting comfortable with the workflow in the OS interface. The application software and how to visualize document storage in a Third World environment (thanks for those pointers to the docs) are next...

Hoover Chan                     chan at sacredsf.org
Technology Director
Schools of the Sacred Heart
2222 Broadway St.