[OLPC-Philippines] Pictures from Philippines - Training 2011

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Sat Jul 9 18:13:24 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Still battling jet lag but thankfully over my stomach issues. I have yet to
compose updates and blogs but here are links to the pictures. I've managed
to put some captions on some. My planned 7-day training was lessened to 3
days because of a typhoon.  Mitch Seaton did the introductory Sugar class
with the incoming 4th graders and their teachers in both Occidental Mindoro
and Lubang while I did the training for the incoming 5th graders and past
Champion Teachers. When not teaching, we were updating the laptops for this
year's distribution.

Circuits Class using Measure: http://bit.ly/nZNfqt
- This is a 2 hour "demo" class to introduce the Measure activity in their
5th grade circuits class. The kids are introduced to different basic circuit
concepts: source/voltage, closed/open/short circuits, series/parallel
circuits, conductor, insulators, etc. They used the Measure activity to
measure the voltage and conductive dough to build their circuits. Towards
the end of the class, they were able to build their own circuit  "art" using
the concepts that they learned.

Etoys Class: http://bit.ly/peo4s1
- This is a 3 - half day course (from 1pm-4pm). We worked on five (3 big
ones and two smaller ones) different projects with one assigned homework
project and a short quiz: maze, animation and a knock knock joke on using
the speech bubbles in Etoys.

I will post the kids projects one Squeakland.org later if you're interested
in seeing their work.

Enjoy!
---Cherry