[OLPC-Philippines] OLPC now and a $75 Android Tablet

tgott gottlists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 23:27:28 EST 2011

Good afternoon everyone,

I've been following the OLPC initiative since the early days of about a
decade ago.Back then I was the Executive Director of an NGO that refurbished
old desktop computers and provided them to NGOs, Faith Based Inititiatives,
and children's after school programs.

In any case I just caught wind of this
story<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/05/27/negreponte-one-laptop-per-child-is-now-a-75-android-tablet/>which
is an old article from May of 2010. In which case you OLPC guys will
probably know about it already.

Though I think it's a great idea I don't think it will take the place of the
current design in all circumstances because I didn't see any mention of
other power source options. So how are would they power it in a village with
no electricity?

Though I'm sure something else could be thought of. Perhaps a secondary
device for providing power ... And I don't know how many current OLPC
distributions have taken place in remote villages any how though the concept
was intriguing.

Ingat,

Timothy L. Gott
Philippines (c) 63-908-365-9051