[OLPC-Philippines] Pilot update from the field

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Fri Jul 16 20:49:23 EDT 2010

Hi All,

Below is an e-mail that I got from Mitch regarding updates. Fortunately, he
has survived the storm unscathed but the island had sustained damages.

Power was back up yesterday and I was able to speak with Mitch and the
teachers by phone. Here are some takeaways from our online meeting:

1) The laptops that were donated back in April and loaned by OLPC
Contributor's Program are being used constantly by the participants. Our
kiddie tech support team bring their laptops to school and use it to take
notes and share its use with fellow students.

2) Internet connectivity at Lubang Integrated School is still very
unreliable. Participants still go to Lubang Municipal building to get
internet connection. Reconfiguring of the AP is still currently worked on.
The XS that I left in April will still be shared by both Maligaya and LIS
School. There are currently no plans to hook up Maligaya with internet
connection. Internet connection is not as critical as getting the AP and XS
infrastructure stable. Mitch is working on it.

3) Etoys, Etoys, Etoys. The teachers have requested for additional training
in Etoys and pre-made content using Etoys.

4) I have secured a commitment from the teachers to do an on-line group
meeting every first Friday of the month to talk about issues as well as plan
for support on content once the laptops arrive. Anyone who would like to
listen in and help build content please send me your skype handle:
cwithers at ekindling.org  (it will be at 9:30pm PST). 1:1 meetings will also
be arranged on as needed basis.

5) Concern was raised for lack of activities for Math. Come September they
need to be covering Fractions.

6) Teachers like GNOME a lot. I have noticed the teachers' preference for
something more "Windows-like" during the training back in April. They have
constantly asked me to relate a Sugar activity with a Windows program ("You
know in Word you can do this...can you also do it in Write?") So no surprise
that they liked gnome. We've provided the guidance to use gnome after school
for their own lesson plan prep, etc. but it's Sugar in the classroom.

Minutes of the conference written by Mrs. Masangkay (English teacher) will
follow.

Cheers,
Cherry