[OLPC-Philippines] A Call for Help on Content Development.

Cherry Withers cherry.withers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:41:08 EST 2009

Hello All,

Kumusta na?  I’ve asked for help last week and a few of you have stepped up.
I am eternally grateful and appreciative of this! There’s a lot of work
ahead and I’m glad I won’t be alone in this.

We have said from the beginning that we are an education project. At the
heart of every education project is content. Speaking of content, here are a
few that I got from you guys:

http://www.innovationsforlearning.org/
http://www.e-learningforkids.org/
http://www.mamamedia.com/

I have been looking at the activities on these and they are great! Some of
the activities within these web-sites we can use, but some of them need to
change or be replaced. Do I really want a Filipino child looking at a house
with two cars in the front when most (if not all) of their belongings have
been washed out by the flood?  Do I really want them to count apples when
most of them have not seen one?  These activities need to be converted, not
just translated in Filipino language, but translated in a context that would
make them appreciate what they have... not what other people have.

This is a call for a formation of an education team within this organization
that will deliver a TRULY Filipino curriculum. We owe it to the children to
give them something where they can look within their culture, their
environment, and their people and have a great learning experience that’s
truly their own. I know you have great ideas and I like to hear them, but
most of all I’d like you to roll up your sleeves with me and do actual work.

I will be hanging out on #ekindling (irc.freenode.net) and on Skype:
cherrywithers from 7pm-12am Sunday to Friday (US PST). That’s 11am-4pm
(Philippine time). We'll work out the hours if this is not good for most
people.

Salamat sa inyong masugid na pagdinig (Thank you for listening).

Ang inyong lingkod (Your humble servant),
----Cherry Withers
cwithers at ekindling.org
eKindling Content Development Team Member