[OLPC-Philippines] Gawad Kalinga village as a pilot site?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Mon Nov 9 14:07:48 EST 2009

Hi,

It seems like they have a strong presence here in Boston.  They also seem
well connected with the Filipino community at Harvard, especially the
Kennedy School of Government.

My impression is they are an organization that is willing to partner widely,
try things, then adapt them to scale when they have success.  It seems like
there are many different places and partners and models we could use for our
first pilot, picking the right one is probably a key to success.

I'll contact them and see what I can find out from here.  The distance may
give me a birds-eye view and maybe we can think about what the right way to
approach a pilot with them is.  But I absolutely don't want to go off on my
own here and I have no on the ground knowledge.  I'm happy to use my
connections but you guys need to reign me in if I go a direction that
doesn't make sense.

Thanks!
Caroline

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Cherry Withers <cherry.withers at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Caroline,
>
> We were working with them (GK-SFC) on a Contributor's program proposal.
> They have a unique program in that they take very underprivileged children
> from the surrounding neighborhood (they have a classroom set-up in Manila)
> on a weekend program and teach them for a couple of hours. It's a great
> program and is run by very passionate and enthusiastic volunteers that we
> are very much willing to work with. However, the way the program is set-up
> currently (mixed grade levels of children and limited number of hours that
> they have them) means that the laptops would be under utilized and content
> development might be an issue. We have not abandoned the idea and are
> willing to make it work or try it with a different program under their
> umbrella altogether so just waiting for things to settle out there and we'll
> reconnect.
>
> Regards,
> Cherry
>

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:14 AM, Jerome Gotangco <jgotangco at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Caroline Meeks
>> <caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
>> > I was invited to a GK event yesterday to meet Tony Meloto. I looked over
>> > sample budget for building a village and it includes hiring teachers and
>> > building a community center in later phases.  Education is definitely on
>> > their agenda.  Is GK a group that you are interested in working with?
>>
>> Hi Caroline,
>>
>> GK was one of the organizations that we've discussed with a few months
>> ago via a subgroup called the Singles For Christ in a local community
>> here. However, discussions didn't prosper much because of the various
>> events that happened lately. If there's still some focus on their part
>> with this for next year, could be interesting to jump start
>> discussions again.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jerome G.