[OLPC-Philippines] OLPC Pilot Enquiry

Milagros simpson milagros8 at bigpond.com
Thu May 28 08:15:21 EDT 2009

Hello OLPC Philippines,

I am a retired bank employee in Sydney Australia, I am of Filipino origin.

I have heard about OLPC on television and I immediately thought that OLPC could make my ex-boss's dreams come true.

The town mayor of Lubang Mindoro is my former boss in the National Computer Center (NCC) in Camp Aguinaldo , Quezon City, Col. Juan Sanchez.
Being a technology person, Col Sanchez is embarking on an IT Program for the school children of Lubang, and he had asked helped from us former employees.

Some former NCC employees from Canada, US and the Philippines are coming over to Sydney for a reunion in September 2009.  I would like to present in the reunion the OLPC scheme, as one of our community service program in the Philippines.
.
I have gone through the OLPC site and I have seen the webpage for donation, but  I would like the donation to be treated as a project, not a casual donation.
This could be one of your pilots, if not the pilot pilot.
Could you please clarify for me what the give a laptop scheme is (donate 1 , get 1).  This is a bit confusing.  Do we pay $199 for one laptop, then we get one free?
I saw one page where it said $399 for a pair.
What is your view on the green laptop, does it work like a 'proper' computer.  Can a child be comfortable to shift from the green laptop to a 'real' laptop?

Looking forward to your early reply.

Regards,

Meg

Mobile: 0412 180 927