[OLPC-Philippines] questions

Hendricks, Rick Rick.Hendricks at rcsdk12.org
Mon May 11 13:17:42 EDT 2009

Just to continue this thread which is peeking my interest. I'd like to address the techiees and the XO's in the States.

My purpose as a teacher attempting to help there is to find a way to deliver both text and video based lessons to the schools there. I am especially intrigued by Adobe flash's .swf for the ability to make things interactive, high quality, scalable graphics with relatively small memory footprint. I can make a thousand of these on a DVD and send them free of copyright and have them used perpetually for the subjects.  I like these because I can take requests from the instructors there about what they would like and I could suggest sequence and lessons for teachers who need it.

I can find hundreds of teachers who will help me to outline what is done here, how , why and in what sequence.  The pictures is worth more than a thousand words because of the language barriers. I certain the XO can show the pictures and that a gig is enough memory to hold quite a long presentation.  Most teachers will like to make PowerPoint shows and I don't know if we can show these but I can translate the shows into flash without too much effort if its' needed.

If Mafe is going to Boston, let me be bold and suggest that the marketing of this program has been pretty bad so far.  The success has come from the installments but I have not seen a lot of good marketing on this one.  Techiees should know that they don't necessarily come out well on video when explaining things.  It would be really good to get an enthusiastic teacher to demonstrate what the XO can do and even better to show what it is doing.  That's why nearly any pilot would be great.   Even after reading and trying to see how to do this, its not evident to me what I could do other than to donate money.

In my case, for example: I would like to see the program in Liloan, So leyte.  So what can I do?  I have spoken with the schools there, they are all for it.  How can I buy them the XO?  I know how to donate in general but I don't know how to make it happen there - even if I front all the money.  If I could buy them here - do I send them Balikbayan?  How much is that? Is there an install team in Manila that I could send there on Cebu pacific? Do I have to make another trip there to set up broadband?  How much will that cost?  I have a lot of unanswereds and I am trying to find the answers.

As a guy that has written numerous grants for schools I can honestly say this would never get funding because of all the question marks.  We the people who want this to happen for the Filipinas must answer the questions.

I am thinking that in August I will bring the high definition video Cameras there and produce a video to detail the need, the techniques used to fill that need, the costs and mechanism such as the ones questioned above.  I would take videos and pictures and use them to redesign the website so that benefactors looking to make real changes could have confidence that the installations will produce real results.

Rick