[OLPC-Philippines] Back-up process requirement

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Jun 12 11:52:57 EDT 2009

RAID-like option: takes a lot of space. If each student's journal can be
up to half a gig (afaik that's back-of-the-envelope how much it gets on
the XO), a classroom of 40 kids = 20GB thumbdrive and 0 data privacy.

Automatic server backup is a feature that's been available for several
months.
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_Backup_and_restore_to_school_server)
I've tested this myself; it works, at least on XOs. I see no reason why
it would not work for SoaS, but have not tried - Caroline may know
better what the status of SoaS with respect to schoolservers is. It's
clunky, and the interface is ugly, but it works. You *do* need engineers
who know what they're doing to make sure it's implemented properly,
though - last time I checked, ease-of-setup hadn't been tackled yet.

--Mel