[OLPC-Philippines] ZDNet Asia: Open source adoption 'anomaly' in Philippines

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Jul 30 18:56:44 EDT 2009

Interesting - not particularly actionable, but here are some things I
think it could mean for eKindling other OSS-in-education projects in the
Philippines:

1. If the private sector is indeed ahead of the education sector in OSS
usage, this represents a potentially *great* situation in terms of
corporate sponsorship of small deployments (single-school, say - as
opposed to "200,000 children in this region"). Let companies turn their
usage of OSS into a "social good" by "sharing" the OSS-way with local kids.

2. If penetration is indeed 45% (someone may want to look more deeply
into those statistics), getting student volunteers for projects may
benefit from the "it's useful vocational training - look at the
percentage of jobs out there using OSS!" angle.

How's eKindling doing these days? I don't see a lot of discussion on the
mailing lists, which makes me curious whether there's another place I
should be listening in.

--Mel

-----

A CIO survey conducted by Springboard Research, determined that the
country has an OSS penetration rate of 45 percent, higher than the
overall Asia-Pacific, excluding Japan, penetration rate of 40 percent.
The Asean OSS adoption rate stood at 34 percent.

The Philippine market also stood out for an "interesting anomaly", noted
Lauro Vives, chief analyst at XMG.

"While we generally see the early adopters of OSS to be in the public
and education sectors, the Philippine private sector seem to be ahead of
these two sectors in its adoption of open source," Canada-based Vives,
said in an e-mail.

However, he added that vibrant OSS adoption could, in fact,
stimulate--rather than adversely affect--the local software economy.

To help extend the technology's reach, XMG suggested that OSS players
should follow in Microsoft's footsteps and deploy a rich user experience
to drive adoption.