[OLPC-Philippines] Organization Formation

Ryan Onell Letada rletada at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 04:37:13 EST 2009

Hello Everyone,

First, here is the *link to the Google group for OLPC Philippines:*
http://groups.google.com/group/olpc-philippines. This public forum can serve
as a temporary means of communication. In this way, we can better organize
our discussions topics. Please feel free to invite anyone and everyone. The
following message is also one of the first threads at the google group.

Second:

I just want to reignite our conversation regarding the agenda for our
first meeting. I have already begun to recruit those who are
interested in XO deployment in the Philippines - in hopes of growing
support and awareness. However, what would be the purpose of our
meeting? Would this serve as an informational session to enlist
further support in regards to OLPC PH, 21st century education,
development, development (fundraising), etc. Would this be the entry
point where we begin to build our core team? Is this when we define
our mission/purpose, core values, etc.? Thus, I think before we begin
to even talk about deployment, localization, curriculum development,
etc, we need to cover the basics of leadership and mission, so that we
may have a strong foundation.

Assuming that the meeting will last 2-4 hours (Is this timeframe
feasible?), I think the following discussions need to happen:

(1) Mission: What is the purpose of our organization?
                  (We have begun to talk about this in our thread)
(2) Leadership: What are the types of leaders we are looking for? What
positions do we need to fill? Discussing processes for identifying
board of directors members, etc.

Already, there is plenty to talk about with these two topics alone.

I also think we need to have an informational session to get everyone
up to speed. I am coming from a business development/education
background, so I am lost when you guys begin to talk about the
technology aspect. There have been many open source, educational
innovations in regards to XO Laptops, and I think it would be
noteworthy to be aware of some of them. In this sense, we can be
better positioned to infuse development and educational initiatives.

Also, numerous other potential stakeholders (MILK Foundation, Bernie
Innocenti) have already approached Jerome, and other active volunteers
regarding this project. I think it would be a great idea to have an
inventory of the connections/resources that we have, so that we may
look for what we dont have.
What do you guys think?

Ryan