[OLPC-Philippines] Lines of Communication

Cherry Withers cherry.withers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 16:18:52 EST 2009

Hi All,

I guess we have to start with this topic before we could even begin to
organize. Since I won't be
available for the meeting I'd like to put in my input now.

I am a fan of Google, but I would caution us from adopting yet again another
form of communication.
As it is, we have the following lines of communication:
1) OLPC-Philippines Mailing List & Wiki Site
2) Facebook Site
3) OLPC-Philippines Multiply site
4) #olpcph channel for chat
5) Chief Mike's Blog
6) We'll likely to have our own PR site: www.olpc.ph

Here's another thing to consider: Should we have a separate line of
communication from the developer's group? We don't want to be inundated
with e-mails about recent builds,etc. as their efforts ramp up.

We can look at pros and cons for each site. We're likely to keep 3 or 4 of
the above, but it would be nice to narrow this down to 2 (we can have a link
to the Pilot school progress via Chief Mike's Blog). But just to brainstorm
what we need for choosing a candidate program for our organization,given
that we're a global one:

1) We need a program with a discussion board that's visible to everyone, and
a way for members to elect whether they'd want a per post update or
just as we log-in update.
2) A way to poll our members say come election time or just to vote on
issues.
3) A way to archive meeting minutes.
4) A way to see which members are available to chat and be able to chat on
the fly without having to go to a separate site.
5) A calendar
6) A file depository so members can pull documents, etc.

If that's Google Groups so be it. Sandeep, you're more familiar with
facebook... are there separate applications that we can
get from facebook to satisfy most of the above? This would be ideal since
there are already 220 members in there and it would be
a pain to get people to move.

Just my two cents. I'll poke around each of the programs above and other
programs (Google Group. Yahoo Group, etc. ) and will try to come up with a
pros and cons list before the meeting.

Cheers,
Cherry