[OLPC-Philippines] A change of focus

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 05:01:56 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Re: OLPC Ph direction: there's actually multiple problems we're trying
> to attack (example: education improvement and poverty eradication go
> hand in hand) and there are more than enough volunteers/interested
> Filipinos who can help on different aspects. For me actually, the more
> important problem that needs to be attacked is the educational content
> per se that can be developed with Department of Education and other
> countries that hopefully can be contributed upstream globally as we're
> native English speakers.

I have been very pragmatic about this from the very start and still
believe that the best way to tackle "multiple" problems is to focus on
certain areas where they are achievable and have the most impact.
Looking at my deck, getting involved in Sugar, and have a local
special interest group for Sugar seems to be the most achievable, not
to mention be able to create best practice scenarios with various
tools and OLPC is just one of the tool providers via the XO-1 laptop
and potential successors. If big agencies get involved like DepEd, so
be it, would be great, if not, the focus for improving Sugar would
still be there.

Besides, Sugar will always have a place in the XO-1 machine, being the
only machine in existence that was designed and built with free
software and open source in mind. The good thing is that Sugar is
pretty much associated with an educational context in mind so it
always becomes the first preference.

--
Jerome G.

Blog: http://blog.gotangco.com