[OLPC-Philippines] OLPC Ph Jan.31 meeting

Kent Saga ykentwegetalong at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:34:10 EST 2009

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:51:07 +0800
> Subject: Re: OLPC Ph Jan.31 meeting
> From: object404 at gmail.com
> To: olpc-philippines at lists.laptop.org
> CC: pmanalastas at ateneo.edu; pmana at admu.edu.ph; john at johnimbong.com; ykentwegetalong at hotmail.com

> Last Jan.31, I collapsed and had to be brought to the hospital earlier
> in the morning due to lack of sleep, stress & overworking. I just got
> discharged and am still getting up to speed on the topics discussed
> during the meetings. I've read some of the notes, but I have yet to
> finish watching the UStream recording becuase I have hundreds of email
> backlog and my current work project to attend to.

I hope all is well.  There's no sense in working yourself too hard if your health is at risk.

Take it easy, bro.  :-)

> Kent, I think you used to do package building for Vector Linux right?
> I wonder how fast it would be if ported to the OLPC XO... same if a
> version of Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux with the 2.6 kernel could
> be created...

The initial aim of the VectorLinux community was to create a distro
which could run on older platforms (e.g. 486's and early Pentiums) so that old pc's donated to schools and other institutions could still be put to good use.
The result was a very fast Slack-based distro which ran on standard x86 systems.  I am not
familiar with the Geode but since it is x86 compatible, the speed
should be more than satisfactory.

Porting it to the XO shouldn't be a problem.  I guess the biggest issue would be which UI to use.

-- Kent