[OLPC-Philippines] OLPC-Philippines

marvind at apc.edu.ph marvind at apc.edu.ph
Tue Feb 10 21:58:51 EST 2009

Hi!

I'm Marvin Dona, a member of the OLPC Philippines mailing list since last year. I've been reading your messages since then and I was thinking what service i can render. I presented it to my superior and they are interested in contributing to this noble cause. I'm connected to The APC Center, an affiliate of Asia Pacific College.

In this regards, please allow me to resend the email of our managing director, Ms. Tata P. Medado dated Feb. 9, 2009, addressed to Mr. Innocenti and Mr. Chua.

We are willing to further discuss our intention to OLPC Philippines at your most convenient time. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Marvin Dona
The APC Center

Message:

Dear Mr. Innocenti and Mr. Chua:

May I introduce myself, I am Tata P. Medado of The APC Center, an IBM Competency Center , and a sister company of Asia Pacific College (APC) in the Philippines .   As opposed to the College that offers baccalaureate programs, the Center on the other hand, delivers training and consulting services to respond to industry talent requirement.   We pride ourselves in enabling industry exposure for our students and at the same time; bring relevance to their education by engaging them in live projects.

I am indeed interested in collaborating with you to bring the OLPC initiative in the Philippines .   I am interested to know how this might be implemented.   If I may, I am guessing that OLPC might be most strategic in the following APC and Center program and projects:

1. One of our strategic learning methodologies is Project-based learning (PBL).   Our students engage in live projects in software development and networking.   The program is undertaken during one Academic Year across different subjects in a trimester schedule.   I am thinking that our students might benefit a lot in developing applications for projects for OLPC.

2. Secondly, the Center offers consulting to academic institutions on education technology.   It is our way of helping basic education become attuned to teaching and learning with technology especially at this time when we would like to enjoin these schools to use open source systems.

Your propositions are indeed welcome and I can foresee a strong collaboration for the benefit of Philippine schools.   We may not be in a position right now to allocate funding for housing and travel but perhaps if we are able to explore other means of support, I will be more than willing to work this out with you.

Appreciate your favorable response.

Best regards,

Tata P. Medado
Managing Director