[OLPC-Philippines] Curriculum help

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Wed Dec 2 18:05:59 EST 2009

Hi Tessa!

I'm loving those emoticons you used! I didn't know you can have a "chewing
one". Hahaha. The marching band is over the top. I don't know how to top
that. However, there is the TamTam activity in Sugar you can possibly use.
:-D

*"I have a 2002 DepEd curriculum from Grs. 1-6, all subjects, which I can
share with you. But I want to check theirs if they are using  the RBEC or
Revised Basic Ed Curriculum which I think came out in 2006 or 2007. Will let
you know after the meeting on Monday."*

This is excellent as I have been trying to unearth such a document for a
long time.

*"Re the curriculum design, if I may suggest, I would like the "champion"
teachers to be part of the process. This is going to be one of the
components in the teacher training program we will conduct sometime in the
first quarter. We still have to draft the timeline factoring the delay in
the manufacturing of the 1.5 XO models."
*
Absolutely! I completely agree. We need as much of their inputs as possible.
We can channel the help we'll get for creating baseline lessons for the
Lubang teachers to reference from and jump start their own material creation
and be able to see the possibility as opposed to working with an unknown.

My other hope is that we can have some of the infrastructure and reference
materials (this can be in the form of just giving them reference/kids sites)
ready for them so they can concentrate on just creating the lessons. So
hopefully we can all start with a conversation on how to build the scaffold
of the Moodle site. So if it's the subject Science we can maybe think about
partitioning it to: Life Science, Physical Science, Earth Science, etc. or
maybe just structure it differently by week instead of by subcategory,
progress tracking, etc. I'm hoping that this will be done before actual
creation of materials and content can follow as we'll need a place to put
their content in. What do you guys think?

Such an exciting time! Looking forward to your updates! How ever I can help,
please do let me know (I need to channel my pent up enthusiasm somewhere)
:-)

Regards,
Cherry