[OLPC-Philippines] Sept. 26, 2008 OLPC PH Meeting minutes

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 06:14:19 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Here are the minutes of the OLPC PH meeting yesterday, Sept. 26, 2008
at #olpc-ph (irc.freenode.net). Attendees are the following:

Jerome Gotangco (jsgotangco)
Carlos Nazareno (naz404)
Menelo John O Mendoza (mjmendoza)
Chie Yu (chie_yu)
John Melchor Valimento (melchman)
Zak Elep (zakame)
Rowen Remis Iral (wenmi)
Mel Chua (mchua)

=== XO-1 developer units ===

6 XO-1 units were received through the Contributor's Program
(http://projectdb.olpc.at/). 3 were sent to naz404 and the other 3
sent to wenmi. It was agreed that the XO-1 units are under a social
contract with OLPC to which we are bound to pass on the units to those
that would be able to contribute in the case that we are not able to
continue with our contributions (meaning no exclusive ownership).
Current holders of XO-1 developer units are:

1 unit - jsgotangco
2 units - naz404
2 units - wenmi
1 unit - tim

It was also agreed that the 3 units sent to naz404 will be used
primarily for flash evaluation and development under the "Flash as
Gaming/Edu-Gaming Platform" project
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/Flash_Gamedev). The 3 with wenmi,
along with the remaining functional B2 and B4 units would be used for
other grassroots projects as well as advocacy and marketing. With
regards to the bricked prototype units, mchua suggested to request for
a de-bricking tool which jsgotangco will check this week.

To monitor the work being done with the XO-1 developer units, the OLPC
PH wiki will be used for reporting results and progress of other
initiatives. An inventory of units will also be posted in the wiki. In
the case that OLPC PH gets to receive more XO-1 developer units, it
was agreed that a program should be sent in place wherein OLPC PH
shall manage the distribution of XO-1 units and monitor the progress
of grassroots projects (similar to what the Contributors Program does,
except that it is focused locally).

=== OLPC PH Wiki cleanup ===

It was agreed that the current OLPC PH wiki needs cleanup, hence all
entries will be placed in an archive page then cherry pick entries
that can still be used. The current headers will be moved as sub pages
from the main OLPC PH page. jsgotangco volunteered to start the wiki
cleanup and will send an email when its accomplished.

There was a long discussion regarding creating a new website, but
resulted to no agreement between the attendees, hence it was decided
first to revamp the wiki. naz404 indicated that he will create an olpc
subdomain from phlashers.com to be used on blogging their progress on
flash development and thoughts on the OLPC project.

=== OLPC PH Domain name ===

To formalize its presence, it was agreed to get a proper domain name
for OLPC PH. The suggestions are:

olpc.ph
olpc.org.ph
olpc-ph.org

jsgotangco will be working on securing the .ph domains, but we only
need one. If anyone is interested in sponsoring the said domain names,
please contact him. If we are able to get multiple domains, we will
all point them to the same site but will choose one as the main domain
name for the group.

=== Next OLPC PH meeting date ===

There was no set  date for the next meeting but jsgotangco suggested
to accomplish the above mentioned todos first before planning another
online meeting. This will be posted in the wiki and the mailing list.

--
Jerome G.

Website: http://www.gotangco.com
Blog: http://engage.wordpress.com