[OLPC-Philippines] GNASH evaluation

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 07:36:45 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The need for Gnash before was very understandable given that there was
> no decent flash runtime for Linux, but now that Flash runs perfectly
> fine on quite a number of distros (and Linux zealotry aside), I don't
> see any solid reason on insisting on using Gnash aside from "it
> doesn't come preinstalled on default XO images".

It's not zealotry. It's this:

http://www.adobe.com/products/clients/all_dist_agreement.html

That means OLPC should do an agreement with Adobe to have the non-free
flash binaries by default. Some Linux distributions, like Ubuntu does
not ship flash non-free by default and instead provide a wrapper
application that connects to Adobe servers to install flash non-free.

--
Jerome G.

Website: http://www.gotangco.com
Blog: http://engage.wordpress.com