[OLPC-Philippines] Pilot Software and Content

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 07:37:03 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO, throwing laptops at groups which do not have the infrastructure
> to handle basic IT tasks is asking for trouble. #1 should be some
> members of staff that can deal with the laptops. A really bad scenario
> would be that the teachers are completely clueless about how to use
> the laptops and then the kids will be running circles around them. If
> a student borks a laptop by mucking around with the terminal as
> super-user and playing around with rm -rf like discussed in the olpc
> developer list, there should be someone at hand who can undo the
> damage done.

That's why the deployment scenario is to have teachers learn how the
laptop was built, how to disassemble it, in case there is a need to
replace a component inside. The XO-1 unit only has 4 screws from on
the display side and 5 inside the battery compartment. Replacing the
LCD is pretty straightforward and the keyboard takes a bit of work but
doable even for a child as long as they are trained to do so. The same
approach should be taken as well with regards to software. There is a
great flickr stream on an OLPC deployment in Ulan Bator, Mongolia and
Ethiopia where teachers are taught first even before the laptops are
given out. This is very very essential.

> I'm also more inclined to having the laptops stay in the schools than
> having kids bring them home for many reasons that have been outlined.
> It's also going to be more cost-effective that way and better care
> will be given to them. It's very similar to the way we in high school
> "rented" books from the school. Because books are expensive, at AdMU
> high school, most of our textbooks were leased to us students, and at
> the end of the year we had to return them.

This really depends on the desires of the donor organization. Its
completely understandable to keep the laptops at school especially in
an urban deployment. But for very far flung areas, it could be more
practical to let them bring it home. Again, this is dependent on the
deployment scenario and the wishes of the donor.

> Also, on an accountability level, I think this is better. Honestly
> "giving" impoverished children laptops for me is like giving them
> expensive celphones. From a book perspective, I think putting up a
> public school library is more effective and responsible than giving
> away books to kids.

You can think of it in a positive light, that enabling them with a
powerful tool makes them more confident. Like what James mentioned
earlier, technology changes the way people think of themselves. More
so to a child who would have the responsibility of ownership. Again, a
constructivist view of learning.

> Moreover, there's the problem of mugging, etc.

Yes, this has been the case for Brazil, where the laptops are kept at school.

> Also, did you guys know that top universities have a hand in the
> quality control for books public schools use? Like for example, the
> History department at AdMU proofreads some of the textbooks used in
> public schools for errors and they've caught quite a few.

Yes, this is a concern even on Private schools where they have their
own books that is different from the public school system. After the
fiasco with regards to content a few years back, the school system
generally been regulating itself with regards to that.

--
Jerome G.

Website: http://www.gotangco.com
Blog: http://engage.wordpress.com