[Olpc-philippines] Short response to question about Windows on XO

James Shields james at marasbaras.com
Tue Jun 3 01:50:16 EDT 2008

I'll grant you those points.  We should also keep in mind that no-cost
software usually means that nobody gets paid to do it.  It costs the IT
industry jobs.  I've seen some hybrid pricing models out there and I'm
hoping that they work ... as the traditional high-priced software or
rented/leased model from the old mainframe days just doesn't work for
people, businesses, and countries that lack the money to invest.

If we're worried about the future of these children, we need to work out how
much of the software gets developed in the future.  If at no cost ... well,
you get what you pay for ... and, the software development industry withers.
Yes, there are some very nice no-cost software packages out there.  For the
most part, the no-cost stuff is junk.

We could have a long, long discussion about this ... but, I suspect that's
best left for doing in-person over coffee, Cokes, and/or tuba.

If I can get my hands on WinXP for the XO, I might work on a direct Sugar
port to WinXP.  It's rather daunting, I looked at the source.  Still, might
be interesting.

As I see it, Windows opens the door in many cases (Egypt is a very good
example), but Sugar exposes the kids to a usable GUI besides the
Xerox-created and Win/Mac-stolen interface we have now.  From my point of
view, the Windows and Mac interfaces, plus all the Linux derivatives, are
essentially the same.  Having something so different is good.

I also think it's good if it gives more children access to the Internet.
The net has been proven to be a rather democratizing medium.  That's almost
always good (I'd like to say it's ALWAYS good, but, I'm hedging my bets
here).

I'd also like to point out that perhaps MS isn't being quite so
profit-minded this time.  Sounds like WinXP for the XO (WinXO?) is going to
be an $10 option ($3 for the WinXP license, $7 for the addition flash card
it needs).
BTW, I've e-mailed one of the people at MS regarding the Unlimited Potential
program (they are the people doing the WinXP port, along with the Asus Eee
PC and another small, inexpensive computer) about WinXO.  If I hear
anything, I'll let this group know.

James Shields