[OLPC-Philippines] Ubuntu 8.10 on the XO-1

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:22:56 EST 2008

Hey all,

If you are interested in having a full desktop environment on the XO
this forum post would be most interesting for you:

http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4053.0

You basically get Ubuntu 8.10 running from an SD card. I've tried it
with a generic 4GB SDHC Class 6 card from CDR-King and it works quite
well I've even managed to add swap to make the os much snappier. The
instructions are very easy to follow  you can even copy and paste the
commands from the terminal.

Take note you'll get the XFCE DE which is light compared to Ubuntu's
default which is GNOME but its quite easy to configure to your liking.
If you use a big card > 2GB you can install other apps with no issues.

Try it out! Its a good weekend project and the SDHC card only costs
P380. If you opt for a branded one the cost would be twice.

Happy hacking!

--
Jerome G.

Blog: http://gotangco.blogspot.com