[OLPC-Philippines] OLPC-Philippines Digest, Vol 10, Issue 6

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Aug 29 08:03:46 EDT 2008

> don't we have direct contacts with MIT/OLPC main ba?

Well, yes - but grassroots groups and efforts are *the* thing that makes
deployments happen (Jerome is absolutely right

>> to your local community to create awareness. The biggest thing that
>> impedes people from going further is laptop availability. For
>> grassroots efforts to continue, this is a necessity. It is ironic as a

One thing that helps tremendously is a detailed proposal for how many
laptops you will need and why, who will deploy/support them, how they
will be used, and so on. A lot of effort is going into the large
government-sponsored country deployments right now so there is no
"official" route for smaller groups to purchase machines, but 1cc (the
OLPC office in Boston) knows that smaller pilots need XOs as well. If
you can convince them that you have everything in place except the XOs
(there is no official support or teacher training package, so we would
have to make our own), they're pretty flexible and willing to work
something out.

There is another upcoming G1G1, so for a small pilot, individual
machines can be obtained for ~USD $400 each this way. (You may have to
ask a friend in the US to have it shipped to their address, and then put
a bunch of XOs in a balikbayan box.)

>> initiatives. The second one I believe, is having a legal identity for
>> such an effort to be taken seriously by stakeholders.

OLPC Nepal might have some good thoughts on this.

-Mel

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mchua