[Olpc-philippines] XO Laptops for an NGO project

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:15:12 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Allan E. Registos
<allan.registos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone can provide us with information regarding the XO pilot program or
> related topics?? We are an NGO that giving students free research on the
> Internet. We gave them free access on Wifi or LAN internet and also a free
> mini-library. But before that, they need to attend a seminar, then become a
> member, then they will become full-time members and are free to use the
> facilities we have. The problem we have is we are lacking of computers, we
> only have very few units working and still have to re-configure those old
> Pentium II with 128MB computers but again, very few units considering that
> we now have more than 100 members all with some college students. Thinking
> about the goal of OLPC is also related to our goal, learning. Knowing that
> only the government can bulk-purchase these XOs, is there any alternative we
> can do to have the XO be demonstrated in our organization and especially to
> the students?

Are these students in grade school or high school? If its the latter,
the XO will be too small for them (and I'm not sure if Sugar itself
can be utilized in a high school environment).

OLPC also has a program called Give Many which starts at 100 laptops:
http://laptopfoundation.org/participate/givemany.shtml

Locally, there very few XOs and most of them, are prototype development units.

--
Jerome