[Olpc-philippines] Introduction

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Oct 18 11:06:59 EDT 2007

Welcome, James! What's your wiki(.laptop.org) username?

The best way to get started is to pick something you're interested in
and just jump in (...like all open-source projects, really).

Since you're interested in developing, the first thing I would do is to
grab a spare partition and install Fedora Core 7 and sugar-jhbuild to
emulate the laptop, as you suggested (see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulation - or as we usually abbreviate wiki
pages here, [[Emulation]]). Emulation itself is something that could use
some work, if you're interested in diving into virtual machines and
development tools rather than enduser apps.

Playing with Python sounds great. Keep in mind that the XOs won't have
visual studio .NET installed ;-) If you have experience developing
distributed apps, one thing you might want to look into is pipes on
python, the thing that allows python applications to easily collaborate
over the mesh network.

On the more Philippines-specific side, one thing that doesn't exist that
will eventually be needed is a translation effort. There's no content in
Tagalog, no games in Tagalog or about Filipino culture, and so on. If
you or someone you know is inclined to spend a few hours pitching in to
put Tagalog words in ZdnekBroz's dictionary project or whipping up some
Filipino-themed content/games, that would be awesome. (Imagine playing
patintero over the mesh.)

-Mel (currently in San Juan, off to Cagayan de Oro in the morning)