[Olpc-philippines] What Mark and Greg can contribute and help to OLPC RP

Charles Chen ideasman88 at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 8 15:05:04 EST 2007

Hi Mark, Greg and Rowena,

  Welcome to OLPC Philippines. Glad you are joining us. May I suggest you go to our Wiki just to know what we have done so far while we wait for Tim to update to update the page with the latest developments.

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Philippines

  Please list yourself in the member section with a brief introduction what you do, your special expertise and more importantly how would you like to contribute your help to the group.

  Rowena and Greg I suggest you do the same thing as well.

  For Greg I think the questions you have raised are reasonable to ask particularly with the recent efforts of Microsoft, Intel and HP as well as other laptop vendors like Asus to offer low priced versions of their products that will directly compete with OLPC OX. It is good to have a reality check on what we are doing. Nicholas Negroponte, OLPC's founder in the light of this sudden interest of business to offer alternatives to OLPC OX had the same problem. In the end, while he had issues on how IT companies reacted to OLPC realised he is not in the business of selling laptops but in providing children to have a better way to learn and educate themselves.

  In the same way there are other people and organisations based in the Philippines doing their own similar projects and initiatives. We should all try not to argue on which one is better than the other but how we can work together and help each other more. In the end, all our efforts will ultimately benefit one group of people: the youth of the country. This is all that matters.

  Thanks.

  Charles