[Olpc-open] A Wikipedia for Children.

Barry Desborough barry.desborough at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 07:15:13 EDT 2016

Just to say where I am with this at the moment.

Vikidia. https://en.vikidia.org/wiki/Main_Page <https://en.vikidia.org/wiki/Main_Page> - This looks OK, but there are only 15 active users the English version. The site is not as high profile as it would be if it was hosted/promoted/supported by Wikipedia or OLPC. There is some concern about the ISP that is hosting it. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OVH#Controversies <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OVH#Controversies>

Wikibooks. There appear to be problems with creating Wikibooks. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Books <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Books> Given that this could be overcome, there would remain the problem that the search function will search all of Wikibooks, including adult-level content, rather than just the current book, books for schools or Wikijunior.

I’ll be looking at creating content for Vikidia and promoting it. Perhaps if it was “adopted” and promoted by OLPC it would help, but I still think that a children’s encyclopaedia wiki under the auspices of OLPC and hosted by Gossamer Threads would be the ideal solution, and I hope this can come to the attention of someone within the OLPC who could make it happen. Please pass this on if you know any such people.

Thanks for your attention.

Barry