[Olpc-open] Sugar on a low-cost tablet for an NGO in India

badday baddaypc at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:17:22 EST 2013

Hi there,

first of all, this is my first post to this mailing list, so a warm
welcome to everybody.

I am currently working in an NGO in India and want to use Sugar as a
tool of education. Therefore I bought a low-cost tablet, rooted it and
installed Fedora ARM in a chroot environment together with Sugar. Now
all that works and via VNC I have the graphical interface running
smoothly including all activities (at least I did not find any not
working). If there is a general interest in this project, I will post a
detailed way to do that.

However, the reason I started to get some interest in this project was
an article on MIT Technology Review (
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/506466/given-tablets-but-no-teachers-ethiopian-children-teach-themselves/
) describing the great success of using tablets in Ethiopia.

I now face some struggle where to find all the software and material
used in that project as in the sugar labs activity website I can hardly
find what I was looking for. It would also be nice if somebody could
tell me about the localization process regarding Hindi as I could not
find too much on the web about it.

Thank you all very much.

Martin