[Olpc-open] Fwd: Defining success

Sandra Thaxter sandra.thaxter at verizon.net
Mon Jan 30 07:38:25 EST 2012

Greetings List,
       The question is what kind of evaluation of OLPC usage do we want, and what is the most useful educational measure.

  1.. Document Activity Usage:  Are students accessing the XOs, how often,  which activities:  this could be answered by pulling the XO data to the school server and tablulating it.  Not hard to do, however the value as far as education isn't clear.  Possibly why no one has done that.
  2.. Document Conventional School Testing for XO students:  This means measuring differences in the students performance on conventional testing comparing students using XOs to those without.   These outcomes are useful for those of us making a case for funding, but educationally only somewhat useful.  Each country organization might do this if they had sufficient funding to cover the effort.
  3.. Long term impact:  Almost all sites are too young to measure long term impact, which in the end is the best measurement.
  4.. This program is learning through doing, through solving problems.  The change in attitude toward learning is the most important factor.  This can be measured by site visits, and inteviewing students and teachers.
      What we need is a big grant to do some field research and get the data.

Sandra Thaxter
www.smallsolutionsbigideas.org
sandra at smallsolutionsbigideas.org
(617) 320-1098