[Olpc-open] RES: Defining success

Marta Voelcker marta at pensamentodigital.org.br
Tue Jan 24 23:24:02 EST 2012

Hello,

This is quite an interesting point. I write from Brazil, and I am also
working on  my dissertation, not exactly about OLPC but about how the use of
ICT on  education contributes for the change for new paradigms on education,
the barriers for effective and scale innovation ( which relates to change on
evaluation). Understanding that OLPCs mission is aligned with the change on
education, I decided to write to share my point of view:

- I see your question as a major global issue at the moment. We all want a
better school, a student centered classroom, learning by doing,  project
based learning, creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, problem
solving, skills
 but it so difficult change, and even more difficult to
sustain and to scale the change, especially in locations were educators have
limited education to teach. So, how technology can help us here?

The problem is that we ( adults in charge of , or researching education at
this moment) don´t know how to measure or to identify in a systemic way the
success on the new education that we want, at least not with the resources
available for education systems nowadays. There is research about it, but we
are all babies  on this process.

For instance, take collaboration   as a desired skill and an evidence of
success on the new education paradigm,  how do we  evaluate collaboration?
The  educational systems are not ready for that. That’s why we are stuck on
cases reported as anecdotes, because there is no school system valuing
“success on the development of collaboration” on a systemic way (exception
for some researches going on).

An interesting research that can help us understand how challenging is this,
and how this issue is part of a greater challenge,  is the work from Yochai
Benkler from Harvard, on his recent book The Penguin and The Leviathan - How
cooperation triumphs over self-interest - he states that most human beans
are naturally good cooperators, but our reward and punishment systems
(including evaluation on education) don´t match with the development of
cooperation.

So far, cases of success are object of research, to evaluate them on a
systemic way we still have many steps to go: first, the educational system
must be willing to recognize and value the new achievements or evidences of
child development ( or skills development), second, this educational system
must develop a way to value the new achievements, and this is not going to
happen through ordinary tests. In my point of view this will happen through
a system that keeps versions of kids products and tracks kids actions. It is
through the  evaluation of  kids progress through what they produce and how
they interact with peers and teachers,  that the technology will help us to
evaluate, in a systemic way, the new evidences of success on the new
education that we are all looking for.

Marta