[Olpc-open] [Grassroots-l] laptop.org #09371 OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, Fri Sep 28, 11:15AM EDT)

Danishka Navin danishka at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:47:15 EST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Yohan Sumathipala <yohan123 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Mr. Leonard, Mr. Holt, Mr. Battley,
>
>  Catalyst for Hope Project - Sri Lanka - UPDATE
>>>
>>  Answers to questions brought up via e-mail and Sep 28 LiveChat:
>
> 1)  *Sinhala translation of Sugar UI*:  We have found a great volunteer, Pahan
> Charithanga in Sri Lanka to help with that.  This is what he said regarding
> the e-mail from Mr. Leonard.
> "I contributed OLPC during my internship period and I am ready to
> contribute again. We conducted some teachers workshops and provided
> technical assistance for them. I can talk to people who worked with me and
> get their involvement as well. For the translation of the UI  we can get
> sinhala blogging community, and university student's contributions. All we
> have to do is make aware about the project".
> Pahan's contact: *pahan123 at gmail.com*
>
> 2. Dr. Jayantha has talked in depth with the local school staff: here are
> her comments -
> "  --   We can get the maximum support from the school staff. One or two
> dedicated teachers are possible to get trained.
>   --   Internet access is also possible.
>    --  Graders 8 and 9 (12-14 years old) are better suited for the
> project" - for now.
>
> 3.  Electricity is available at school.
>
> We are eager to move forward with this.  Please let us know what the next
> step is to get OLPC laptops to Sri Lanka.
>
> Thanks
> Yohan
>
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> If you or your friends could help complete the translation of the Sugar
>>> UI that runs on the XO laptop into:
>>>
>> Tamil:
>> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ta/
>> or Sinhala:
>> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/si/
>> It would be a very nice way of giving back in a manner that would help
>> both your kids and others in Sri Lanka.
>> cjl
>> Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator

Let me know if any one need to contribute to the Sugar l10n in Sinhala.

I have been working for Sugar localization.

About the blogging community:

Some time ago we did very first translation marathon in Sri Lanka and the
quality of translation was not good.

Since the product is targeting for School Kids, we have to concern about
the quality specially those kids are in primary schools where they just
start learning their native language.

The Sugar l10n process was conducted with the help of school teachers in
Sri Lanka.

Best Regards,
--
Danishka Navin