[Olpc-open] NOW: OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (#olpc-meeting, 3PM EST, Mch 4)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Mar 4 15:11:35 EST 2011

Please join us now, voting for the latest OLPC/Sugar
community projects over IRC Live Chat, to make the best project
allocations & mentoring relationships--starting right here:

http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* Sunday's 9PM EST Philippines Deployment Report, Live!
   http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/grassroots/2011-March/001735.html

* Fast Review of the 6 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
   join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

  1. Conectate, Juega Y Aprende / Get Connected, Play & Learn - Ecuador
  2. Ubuntu Pace Academy Learning Lab - Atlanta, Georgia / South Africa
  3. Planting an OLPC seed in West Papua - Indonesia / United Kingdom
  4. Ndoombo Orphanage and widow center - Tanzania / Tonawanda, New York
  5. NOAH-Havergal Initiative - South Africa / Toronto, Canada
  6. Science in Their Hands, Right Livelihood Practices - Kenya

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. Conectate, Juega Y Aprende / Get Connected, Play & Learn - Ecuador
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=75970
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 30 XOs over 36 months

    Project Objectives: (excerpt)
    The main objective of our project consists in introducing the benefits
    of computerization, to children between the ages of 8 and 12 years, who
    until now, had been deprived of this educational tool (the computer) due
    to the lack of financial possibilities of the parents and teachers.
    We can assure you that the results of our project will become tangible
    in a short period of time, and from these results, not only the children
    will become the beneficiaries, but also the community where they belong,
    the same, as we expect, will evolve under the influence of the technical
    advancement we pretend to introduce to a generation who, in the future,
    will dictate the direction of the community.

    By educating these children’s minds and providing them with a means of
    world integration, we are trying to eradicate poverty, since these
    children, when adults, will be willing to establish industries and
    activities which will generate employment, therefore improving the way
    of living of a region of this planet, that although eager in willingness
    for progress, it had been left forgotten by its government always
    struggling by financial burdens.
    Ignorance and poverty as well as education and progress go hand on hand.

2. Ubuntu Pace Academy Learning Lab - Atlanta, GA / South Africa
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=76000
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 100 XOs over 12+ months

    Project Objectives:
    The Ubuntu PAL Lab well serve as an educational
    resource and high-impact charitable opportunity to transform the
lives of
    deserving South African students who, despite great hardships are
prepared
    to use education to create a positive vision of their futures. The
Ubuntu
    PAL Lab is a response by Pace Academy students to the educational needs
    they witnessed first hand in downtrodden Eastern Cape townships of Port
    Elizabeth.

    The Ubuntu PAL Lab will be used in the spirit of Ubuntu - A person is a
    person through other people - to expand Ubuntu?s educational initiatives
    to invest in the emerging youth leaders to give them the tools they need
    to be successful in the workforce, politics and the opportunity to
work in
    the field of their own choosing. In addition the latest educational
tools,
    such as the laptops.

3. Planting an OLPC seed in West Papua - Indonesia / United Kingdom
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=76313
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 35 XOs over undetermined months

    Project Objectives:
    This project will introduce OLPC to West Papua. After an intense 6-week
    introduction it will be sustained by local inhabitants and support via
    the Internet. In addition to planting and nurturing an OLPC seed in a
    part of the world with no prior exposure to OLPC, our project will
    explore the challenges of building a sustained pilot after only six
    weeks of face-to-face interactions with an expert.

    Another objective is to explore the ideas for projects described in
    Marvin Minsky’s essay OLPC Memo 5: Education and Psychology. He
    describes many possible projects that “provide our children with ideas
    they could use to invent their own theories about themselves”. He
    suggests that cybernetic thinking (i.e. understanding complex processes,
    for example, feedback loops) can provide children with productive ways
    of thinking about their own thinking and learning. Learning a good
    programming language can lead to understanding computational concepts
    that are otherwise difficult to learn.

4. Ndoombo Orphanage and widow center - Tanzania / Tonawanda, New York
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=76960
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 10 XOs over 21 months

    Project Objectives:
    To provide learning opportunities for children and training
    opportunities teachers • To provide low cost access to information
    for news, weather, school projects and to web conference with schools
    that have olpc

    Our local partners Participating institutions are: Jane Orphange
    Ngarmtoni, Arusha School, Braubaern School, Children for Children
    Future (orphanage for street children), Olepolos Children’s Centre,
    Ngaramtoni orphanage (90% girls) and Ndoombo Orphan Centre Primary
    School, Duluti, Arusha.

    PROPOSAL Target group
    Our target group is underserved children aged 4 – 15 years mostly
    attending rural schools, in urban slums and orphanages. Family of the
    students selected to participate in this project will also be
    indirectly impacted by this project. The indirect impact has been
    explained in detail in an earlier section.

5. NOAH-Havergal Initiative - South Africa / Toronto, Canada
    http://noah-xo.blogspot.com
    http://olpcMAP.net?id=791001&km-distance=600
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=76986
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 10 XOs over 18 months

    Project Objectives:
    Our objective is to begin our pilot project with the students at
Havergal
    College. The students are to learn xo software to then introduce the
laptop
    to an Ark(NOAH's name for communities) during their visit to South
Africa in
    August. Long term objective is to have one laptop per child for each
of the
    arks.

6. Science in Their Hands, Right Livelihood Practices - Kenya
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=67167
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 9 Xos for 2-3 months

    Project Objectives:
    To overcome the teacher’s resistance to a technology, and a new way of
    learning. To help them see the co-learning, exploratory process and
    guidance role they can play in well structured XO science learning
    projects.

    To overcome their fear of using a computer, and begin to see it as a way
    to alleviate some of their teaching challenges (big classes, varying
    needs of students, engaging students in activities, hands–on
experiences).