[Olpc-open] [Grassroots-l] OLPC in Tunisia?

Ahmed Mansour atphalix at inbox.com
Thu Oct 28 16:44:21 EDT 2010

Hi Sameer and all,

Unfortunately, in Tunisia, Egypt and also here in Morocco, the Ministry
of education choosed to partner
with Intel and Microsoft instead. But I still see hope for OLPC in the
region for 2 reasons:
1- The Ministry's plan are to introduce ICT to high schools students,
which exclude 6-12 old children which are
the target of OLPC with Sugar.
2- They can't introduce computers to all schools specially in remote
area who lake infrastructure, and in places where there is not even schools!

For now, I think it is better if the student would get used to Sugar and
join our Arabic translation efforts here:
http://pootle.sugarlabs.org/ar/
and also join the Arab/Palestinian xo community, as they are the first
country in the Arab world to have xo, so their success would be also a
success of olpc and would make it easier to introduce it to other
countries in the region, he can
  try to help them here:
http://olpcmideast.ning.com

PS: Tunisian Ministry of education website
http://www.education.gov.tn

cheers,

Le 28/10/2010 05:49, Sameer Verma a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Edward Cherlin<echerlin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 15:48, Sameer Verma<sverma at sfsu.edu>  wrote:
>>
>>> Anything happening in Tunisia? One of my students (who is from
>>> Tunisia) wants to know.
>>>
>> A Google search shows that the Ministry of Education expressed
>> interest in 2007, at the time of the World Summit on the Information
>> Society in Tunisia, and nothing since.
>>
>> So the question is whether your student has the skills and temperament
>> to start OLPC Tunisia. What do Tunisians think about it? What NGOs are
>> active in Tunisia? Where is Tunisia now on ICT, education,
>> development, civil society, whatever is relevant?
>>
>> But i have to ask, why couldn't your student find the answer to the
>> original question? I know you teach research skills. Is there some
>> disconnect?
>>

>>> cheers,
>>> Sameer
>>> --
>>>
> Ed,
> We found all the things you mentioned through web searches. I am
> looking for specific OLPC and olpc efforts, if any.
>
> cheers,
> Sameer

Ahmed Mansour
http://olpc-maroc.blogspot.com