[Olpc-open] [Marketing] [IAEP] Project process visualization

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue May 5 22:23:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Hey Gaurav,
>
> The diagram is great!  This is what I had originally envisioned for
> our getting started page on the [www|wiki].sugarlabs.org.
>
> The best part about the diagram is how it communicates how all of the
> different pieces fit together to make the ecosystem work.  Yet,
> individuals can drill down to specific , manageable, areas which they
> can learn more about.
>
> It would be great if you could work with Fred, Christian, Eben, Gary
> and the rest of the wiki/web guy to create this into an interactive
> 'map' for the project.
>
> FWIW, this rest of us will likely kibitz loudly about your choices for
> naming and categorization:)
>
> David
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Gaurav,
>> I like your visualization of the social communication process for the
>> OLPC project.  The icons are simple and fun to associate with a concept, the
>> cycles nicely emphasize the iteration needed in all domains, and the overlap
>> with intersections demonstrate the coordination that is needed.
>> I can imagine versions where nodes would be expanded in subsets to show more
>> detail of a process.  For example, we could use such a map to explain and
>> guide newcomers to the software development cycle and community tools.
>> Could you share the icons and tools you used to allow others to work on
>> prototypes and drafts for their processes?
>> We could start using more of these and similar icons for tagging concepts in
>> our wikis and Sweet software, and we could use the maps as a navigational
>> aids.
>> Thank you for your contributions!
>>        --Fred
>> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Gaurav Bhushan <gaurav_b at nid.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> While I was a student of information design at National Institute of
>>> Design, India, I worked on brainstorming and visualizing an ecosystem to
>>> support the OLPC project in India.
>>>
>>> I am attaching a poster representing the same. The idea was to trigger
>>> advocacy among key players in Education, Technology and Outreach.
>>>
>>> It is still very crude, and I can take out more time to work on it if you
>>> guys have some feedback and inputs. I feel a lot more can be done in terms
>>> of making it interactive.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Gaurav Bhushan
>>> User Experience Design
>>> Google, India
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gaurav Bhushan
>>> Information Design
>>> National Institute of Design, India

Hi Gaurav,

Its good to finally see your model on the lists here. I'm also quite
pleased that you are done with school and are at Google (Hyd I
presume?). Congratulations!

I saw Gaurav's model last year when I was visiting Reliance/DBF in
India - this is the group that did Khairat
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Khairat_school). Obviously, Gaurav has put
a lot of effort into it. My suggestions were to (1) release it under a
CC style license and (2) maybe explore an interface (AJAX or
otherwise) that would allow "Zoom in" and Zoom out" of different
cycles and levels for big picture and drill down details with
explanations and links at each level.

cheers,
Sameer
--