[Olpc-open] [Sugar-devel] I hear you

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Mar 31 21:24:46 EDT 2009

On 03/29/09 23:42, quozl at laptop.org wrote:
> I've tested twinkle and it worked quite well for point to point calls.
> Both it and ihu could probably be modified to accept appropriate
> parameters to operate within the Sugar context if needed.
>
> I'm also aware of someone working again on the point-multipoint audio
> idea that I tried out a couple of years ago ... a press-to-talk (PTT)
> multicast portable radio emulation.

Some time ago I made linphone work on my XO.  It was fully functional
and reliable, but the GUI is really ugly also by the standards of a
traditional desktop.

The reason why linphone is interesting at all is that the engine is well
isolated from the UI so it's easy to replace it with a Sugar UI, perhaps
written in Python, without breaking everything in the core.  They have
already implemented GTK, console and test UIs.

Oh, and it also does video with H263, MPEG4, theora and H264 codecs!

  http://www.linphone.org/index.php/eng/features

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/