[Olpc-open] Why not just sell the OLPC XO-1?

Josh Cogliati jjcogliati-olpc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 08:54:52 EDT 2009

I am curious why OLPC does not sell XO-1s?
If they were sold at about 250 - 300 dollars, there would be roughly a 50 - 100 donation for OLPC, and then the price would be reasonably competitive with other netbook prices.  Also, I would recommend selling an XO-1 for about 50 dollars more that included a solar panel charger as well as the regular wall charger for a unique selling point.

I know the original G1G1 program ended because the logistics were taking up too much time.  As I understand it, the second G1G1 program ended basically because not enough were being sold.

I know that OLPC is not in the laptop business, but they still managed to produce the best kids laptop that I know of, and the best laptop to take on a camping trip.

Is there any particular reason OLPC is not to selling them?  It would provide at least some money, and with Amazon doing the distribution probably not cause that much of a distraction to OLPCs main mission.

Josh Cogliati