[Olpc-open] magic jack

cilvilserpent warpuck at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 00:11:59 EDT 2009

Robert Ryburn wrote:

> Does Magic Jack Phone work on your XO?
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert

I use AT&T Uverse. AT&T markets a Cable TV, Internet and Phone package.
Guess where the phone hooks up? Yep it hooks to the wireless cable modem. So
if you want use wire for your puters you can only hook up 3 if you get the
phone. Had one hell of a time getting it installed without the phone. AT&T
just could understand DO NOT want to switch cell phone companies & install a
land line. Hell I guess sucking $130.66 out of my bak account per mo. isnt
enough.
I would therefore say Majic Jack is pretty much the same thing, so they must
be making up the diff someway.

I am going to use some thing like this for majic jack with only the Majic
Jack, OS, and security software installed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rackable-Systems-L440GX-PIII-800-Mhz-1-GB-Ram-20-GB_W0QQitemZ370164955388QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Servers?hash=item370164955388&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

This is an example of the perfect system for a MJ server for $60.00. They
designed to be always on, reboot without a keyboard or monitor attached. At
idle it should only use 10-15 watts to run or 15-20 if you decided to add
another PIII 800Mhz(Slot type). Server CPUs were the first to have stepping,
so the system is not going to run flat out all the time. I know the socket
370s didnt pull that many watts when idle. Not sure about slot1 tualitins.
This box may not have an usable OS installed. All you need is a CDROM and
cable to plug in temporarily to the ide  port, Windows 2000 OS disk or if
running dual processors (must use SMP OS) windows 1-2 processor or XP
Professional and of couse a good internet security suite. Norton and MaAfee
are resource hogs, and my slow it down too much. I recomend NOD 32, Panda,
or Kaspersky.
 Note a (serverworks LE) socket 370, dual proc, PIII 1.13Ghz 512 cache, and
4GB will address all the memory with win 2000, run about as fast as any 2.8
Ghz P-4 system. PC 133 registered server RAM (for serverworks SLE chipset)
has dropped from $360.00 (2002)for 2x512Mb to $40.00. Running memory on each
processor bank is required to run 2 procs, this one is a 440gx so it only
cost 36.00 for 4x512 of SDRAM, for 2Gb to max it.  The picture shows two
slot 1 Procs. Most companys are abandoning these old workhorses for 64 bit
servers. I have seen some of these old guys with 2 procs and 4 Gb of ram go
for $90.00 on Ebay. The Supermicro PT3DLE version installed in a tower still
goes for over $200.00 with 1.4Ghz procs with 512 cache & 4 Gb registered
ram. Yes it will run Vista 32 very well. The example has 4x256Mb, 10/100 nic
port, 2 USB ports and VGA, PS2 keyboard and mouse in the back, and all the
power switch, HDD, power, network blinky lites in front. It has only a 235
watt power supply. Tiny for any desktop commonly sold today.