[Olpc-open] Foot power revisited...

Mike Dawson mikeofmanchester at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 09:18:22 EST 2009

Dear All,

We have done some rough experiments on some Afghan kids around here
with weights to see how much force they are capable of generating.  We
don't yet know how long they can sustain this for and how much that
might change if they are doing that regularly...

We made a scale, loaded some weights onto one side, and asked the
child to use their foot to make it go up and down.

We found that a 7 year old boy here can lift 7-8kg 25cm at 40rpm which
gives us 11W or so.

If we lose 50% or so to the efficiency of the dynamo, rectifier, etc.
we are looking at getting something like 5W...  Which seems like we
are getting close - we could say something like get fit, work out, and
then you can use the processor etoys etc. a bit more...

We should have one of the handcranks coming tomorrow - I was thinking
to see if we can connect our sewing machine to that instead - and see
how much we can get out of it...

Another interesting question from the cost point of view is if we
assume that this energy is coming from rice, bread, etc. what is the
cost of that and how does it compare to solar for example?  Though in
the classrooms solar is quite difficult as aforementioned given that
there is normally something overhead (building, tent etc) blocking the
sun...

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion and I look
forward to seeing where this is going to go.

I am going to be going back to Jalalabad (where the first deployment
school in Afghanistan is) and I can see if we can find some companies
that might be able to produce something along these lines and how much
it will cost...

Regards from Kabul,

-Mike